Thursday, July 25, 2013

obeying the law.

Here's the story.

I've been praying for the Lord to show me areas of my life (big, small, and even those microscpoic areas that I forget about) that I need to change. Wait, that sounds bad. Areas of my life that don't honor the Lord for whatever reason. Well, you pray something like that, and leave it to God to begin to work. Prayers like that are quite bold. Now I know why people never pray for patience or humility... ;)


Anyway, if you know me at all, you know I have a lead foot. I'm always in a hurry, always on the go. I never stop to enjoy the ride, so Monday morning, what do I do? Hop in my car to race across town to my apartment to get ready for work. Well, because I was half asleep, I look up in the rear-view mirror long enough to see a sweet little cop car. Of course, in a matter of 5 seconds I convince myself that He's just admiring the view of the lake, until I see those blue lights. 


Well, I was indeed speeding. A lot. And as I grumbled and unwillingly took my deserved speeding ticket, I drove off just talking out loud to the Lord, as if he were riding shotgun. Laughing as I type this, I remember saying, "Dang it, God. It's MONDAY. Monday! Lord, I know I should probably be learning something here, but come on! It's 7 in the morning and I haven't even had coffee..." Yeah, you get it. I was being a whiny little girl. I always hated those, and here I am, 21 being one to my Heavenly Father. So then I'm just silent the rest of the drive to my apartment, radio off, taking in the silence. Then, I hear the Lord say to me, "Hebrews 12. I discipline you because I love you." Then, I start firing off my whine-bag comments again, to which I am quieted by His words in scripture. 


"In your struggle against sin (in my case, obeying the law) you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding of your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:

"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son (or daughter)."
-Hebrews 12:4-7
"God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness." -Hebrews 12:10b

So. Lesson learned? I think so, and I am left to say praise God for traffic violations, for they make me more like Him. May I learn to submit to the law here on Earth as I learn to submit to the law and commands of my Heavenly Father. He disciplines, so that we can share in His holiness, so if a traffic violation is what it takes to set me on my way, thank you Lord. I've missed the mark so many times, and I am thankful He doesn't give up on me. 


His, Rach.

No comments:

Post a Comment